October 13, 2011
The Boston Red Sox have taken a beating from the media over the last few weeks, with the team melting down in the last month of the regular season, the departure of Terry Francona and Theo Epstein, and the recent accusations of players partying in the clubhouse during games. We could get caught up in the drama, but we prefer to talk about happy things. Besides that, we have a fun interview with Kevin Youkilis that we’re excited to publish while people are still talking about the Boston Red Sox.
We asked Kevin Youkilis to play “Who Would Win?” with us. The premise is simple. We just asked Kevin to tell us which of his Boston Red Sox teammates would win various hypothetical events. His answers are below in bold:
“Kevin Youkilis, of your Boston Red Sox teammates, who would win…
1. …a game of Trivial Pursuit?” Ryan Lavarnway, only because he went to Yale.
2. …a car race?” Marco Scutaro loves fast cars.
3. …a political election?” Jed Lowrie, because he went to Stanford and wears 3-piece suits.
4. …a singing contest?” Daisuke has a good voice.
5. …a dance-off?” No idea. Luckily never seen some guys dance.
6. …a humanitarian award?” Too hard to answer because we have a lot of guys that do a lot of charity work.
7. …a trash-talking contest?” Pedroia for sure. A daily routine for him [is] to talk trash, but it’s all joking around and never too serious.
8. …an arm-wrestling tournament?” Varitek. He is one strong dude.
9. …a stand-up comedy contest?” Marco Scutaro for sure. He is always making guys laugh and keeping the locker room loose and fun.
February 10, 2011
Editor’s note: In celebration of his birthday (Feb. 10), we’re giving away four autographed Moose Johnston Fathead Teammates. Every person who leaves a comment below (be sure to leave your email address) before 11:59pm ET, Feb. 10, 2011 will be entered into a drawing for one of the four prizes. We’ll announce the winners tomorrow (Feb. 11). Good luck!
Daryl “Moose” Johnston is no stranger to the Super Bowl, having played on three Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys teams in the nineties. We caught up with Moose in Dallas prior to Sunday’s big game and asked him to play a game of “Who Would Win?”
It’s a simple premise: we just asked Moose to tell us which of his former Dallas Cowboys teammates would win various hypothetical events. Excerpts from the interview are below, with his answers transcribed in bold.
“Moose Johnston, of your old Cowboys teammates, who would win…
1. …a trash talking contest?” “I’ll go with Kevin Smith. Or, no…maybe Alvin Harper. It wouldn’t be Deion [Sanders], believe it or not. I’ll go with Alvin.”
2. …an arm-wrestling tournament?” “Larry Allen.”
3. …a stand-up comedy competition?” “There’s a couple. That could be Kevin Gogan, or Frank Cornish.”
4. …a singing contest?” “Music was always playing, but no one was ever really singing. Um…Brock Marion.”
5. …a humanitarian award?” “Troy [Aikman].”
6a. …a dance-off?” “Emmitt [Smith], obviously.”
6b. FOLLOW UP: “Who would be the least likely to win a dance-off?” “Me.”
7. …a hot dog eating contest?” “Back in the day, I would have picked Nate [Newton], but right now, no way. He weighs less than I do. He’s lost almost 200 lbs. He sat two seats away from me at Emmitt’s Hall of Fame induction. We had no idea who it was until Emmitt said his name and he stood up.”
January 26, 2011
The Seattle Seahawks chalked up an improbable win in the first round of the Playoffs, silencing many critics who felt Seattle didn’t belong there with a losing regular season record. While they couldn’t overcome Chicago in the Divisional Round, the Seahawks played hard to the very end, scoring 21 points in the fourth quarter, all of which began with an interception by Seattle’s second year linebacker, Aaron Curry.
We caught up with Aaron online a few days after the loss to play a game of “Who Would Win?” The premise is simple: we just asked Aaron to tell us which of his Seattle Seahawks teammates would win various hypothetical events. See his answers below in bold.
“Aaron Curry, of your Seahawks teammates, who would win…
1. …a hot dog eating contest?” Will Herring seems like he’d enter a contest and win it!
2. …a trash-talking contest?” Matt Hasselbeck always has some very sarcastic trash talk. It’ll leave you like, “What did he just say?”
3. …a game of Trivial Pursuit?” David Hawthorne has a ton of off-field knowledge.
4. …a car race?” Chris Baker. He’s got a Bentley GT Coupe that has more torque and power than anything on the market.
5. …a political election?” Chester Pitts. He is just really good with people and being firm in what he believes in.
6. …a singing contest?” Justin Forsett would win off effort alone, not that he can really sing. LOL.
7. …an arm-wrestling tournament?” Dexter Davis. He’s got arms like Arnold.
8. …a stand-up comedy contest?” Cam Morrah. He’s got really sneaky jokes. LOL.